Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Redd Volkaert


When I was in Austin recently for Ethan and Amy's wedding, I had the great privilege of seeing a band play at the Continental Club. Can't remember the name of the band itself, but it was pointed out to me that the guitarist, a kinda chubby guy with the big beard, active eyes, and a cud-chewing constant scan back and forth of the audience, was some famous guy.

I was smitten.

His name is Redd Volkaert, and I don't know a lot jack shit about country music, really, but I fkcuing loved it. Unbelieveable. As Ethan put it, his "familiarity with the instrument" was astonishing, although he would be the first to say that just those words wouldn't convey anything about it.

Have a look at his site - you can find a few samples there - but if you EVER have a chance to hear him play ANYwhere, do so. One of the best live performers I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment