Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Watch Me and Learn


Cory Doctorow summarizes the concept of "myware," software that you intentionally install and run in order to monitor your own actions, and "teach" a computer to "server" you better.
I love this idea: people are good at making decisions and computers are good at counting them (and computers are bad at making decisions and people are bad at counting them). My computer should note, count and process every decision I make -- it should notice that I never answer emials from certain people, it should notice that I never click through certain stories in my reader, that I load certain pages every day, that I often search my mailbox for certain kinds of messages and so on. That's stuff I'm totally unqualified to keep track of, and that computers are really good at
Do not fear!

(via Boing Boing, tho' he's writing about the CEO of last.FM)

No comments:

Post a Comment