Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Beginning of Time

In a post by Joystiq about some Tetris-shaped fridge magnets (which I'm drooling over), Kevin Kelley provides a brief history of video games since Tetris, and the roots of Tetris itself:
Tetris has spawned dozens of clones, appeared in other Nintendo games like Dr. Mario, and lives on today as Hexic, which was designed by Tetris creator Alexey Pazhitnov. In fact, most of today's popular puzzle games like Bejeweled can trace their roots back to Tetris, which is itself a sort of bizarre twist on Breakout, and that leads directly back to Pong, which takes us back to the beginning of time and makes our heads hurt.
I love Pong as "the beginning of time."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:39 AM

    Bingo masters -- break out!

    I like the new look of the place. I should remodel my own too. And write on it.

    ReplyDelete