Thursday, December 06, 2007

You Can Think What You Can Think

Romney:
"Freedom requires religion, just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone," the GOP contender said.
Bullshit.

If you find it helps your humility towards your fellow being to believe in something you can't explain, or in the limits of your own mind, fine. Go ahead. I get that humility myself, by simply believing there are things I don't know, and through my sense of how unknowably large and old and bewildering the universe is.

I call nonsense on the claim that religion is an essential component of so-called "freedom." And now look, I've been sucked into debating the metaphysical properties of this GWB-ish concept called "freedom."

Perhaps I should have said that whatever this concept "freedom" is that you say requires religion - I do not need it.

Update: I liked this comment on CNN's page.
With his pronouncement that "Freedom Requires Religion", Romney says exactly what he needs to say to potential voters: My religion may be different than yours, but I hate and fear atheists just as much as you do. The fact that this loathsome comment doesn't put him out of contention -- and in fact strengthens his standing -- speaks volumes about the American notion of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment