Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Free Lunches!

I love this quote from the prologue to Cory Doctorow's new novel, Little Brother, now available for free under Creative Commons (as well as for $ as mp3 and ebook):If I could loan out my physical books without giving up possession of them, I *would*. The fact that I can do so with digital files is not a bug, it's a feature, and a damned fine one. It's embarrassing to see all these writers and musicians and artists bemoaning the fact that art just got this wicked new feature: the ability to be shared without losing access to it in the first place. It's like watching restaurant owners crying down their shirts about the new free lunch machine that's feeding the world's starving people because it'll force them to reconsider their business-models. Yes, that's gonna be tricky, but let's not lose sight of the main attraction: free lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment