Monday, July 07, 2008

I Have Been to Iraq 8 Times

This doesn't even sound like a real human:
SEN. MCCAIN [in a radio interview]: Well, I think you know that I opposed the failed strategy of the Bush administration. I argued for the strategy that is succeeding.

I have been to Iraq 8 times. I know the situation on the ground.

I predicted we would succeed and we are succeeding. And, we are winning. That victory is fragile, it can be reversed.

Sen. Obama opposed the surge. He said it would fail. He still is saying that it would fail.

Now, last Thursday or Friday, it seemed for a while there he was agreeing with the surge, then maybe he’s not. So, I’m glad he’s going to Iraq for the second time. He hasn’t been there in 900 days. I’m glad, for the first time, he’s going to sit down with General Petraeus--for the first time, a sit-down briefing, if you can believe that. And, I hope that he will reach a position.

I don’t know what position, because he’s been all over the map, calling for immediate withdrawals, back in the primaries to now saying you know--so it’s hard to know. I hope that he’ll go over there and get the kind of information he needs that he hasn’t requested in the past...

But, have no doubt what my position was when I called for additional troops, it was a very unpopular thing to do and many people said my campaign was dead and I said I’d rather lose a campaign then lose a war.

He said it would fail, it has succeeded. [The] American people should take notice of that.

So, I’ll see what he has to say when he gets back from his visit to Iraq. And, I’m sure he’ll be impressed with a sit down with one of the greatest generals that America has ever produced, General David Petraeus.

(spoken, so my own paragraph breaks)

No comments:

Post a Comment