Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rod Mar


2008110519.jpg

I love this photo by Rod Mar from the incredible photo blog Best Seat in the House. Highly recommended, and here's the journal-style description of how he got this shot:
9:40 p.m. -- Medal ceremony begins. I learn that USA mistakes have cost them. While everyone gathers in front of the podium, I take the 600mm lens and go where no one else is shooting from. I know the shot I want -- I want something with both the USA and Chinese teams in it. I spot where the nations' flags will be raised and head in that direction. I want their faces facing me. Security has blocked off the area I need to be in, so in Mandarin, I ask the crew running the boom camera for television if I can stand beneath the boom. They agree, and I find the photo I want of the U.S. team looking at the Chinese team with their gold medals.

No comments:

Post a Comment