Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No Obstacle

Ta-Nehisi Coates:
But for some reason, this one just isn't getting my hackles up. Maybe it's because of how I see Lieberman. He is, no doubt, self-aggrandizing, sanctimonious and self-interested. But I don't see him being an obstacle to Obama, mostly because I can't see how it would be in his interest.
I think that's true. It reminds me of the presidential debates (I think it was in the 2nd one when I felt this most strongly, when McCain was weakened by his inept theatrics about the bailout), when I wanted to see Obama whip McCain around a bit and nail him on the many things he was mishandling and the shameful attacks he was guilty of at the time - but Obama stood above that.

It still seems surreal to me that the Democrats will let back in a person that campaigned for their opponent for Prez, but I agree that we shouldn't linger too long on this. It's that constant fear that Democrats will not be "strong" enough, that they'll always capitulate, that I think underlies a lot of our frustration with the results of the Lieberman thing.

That - and restlessness to see accountability - "actions have consequences" - come back into, um, vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment