Thursday, February 19, 2009

Poopyhead Defense

Remember this?
The former Republican leader, charged with conspiracy and money laundering in a campaign finance case, smiled occasionally as he sat alongside his wife, Christine, in the courtroom.

In court Friday, rather than the corporate donations DeLay is accused of illegally funneling to candidates, defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin made an issue of the $3,400 in political donations the judge has made to Democratic causes, including one to a group critical of DeLay and Republicans.

“I noticed yesterday MoveOn.org, to which you have contributed, was selling T-shirts with Mr. Delay’s mugshot on it,” DeGuerin said, referring to the liberal interest group and the picture of a smiling DeLay taken Thursday.

Perkins shot back.

“Let me just say I haven’t ever seen that T-shirt, number one,” the judge said. “Number two, I haven’t bought it. Number three, the last time I contributed to MoveOn that I know of was prior to the November election last year, when they were primarily helping Sen. [John] Kerry,” the Democrats’ 2004 presidential nominee.
Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment