Sunday, January 22, 2006

WFMU's Beware of the Blog: Boney M. (video, mp3, midi)

When I was about 12, I went on a "family european vacation." My Aunt H asked a favor of me on the trip. She said she hoped I could find a tape for her when we were in London, because, i suppose, she had some idea that it was only available in Europe or something.

I don't remember the name of the album, but it was by the band known as Boney M. I knew nothing about them, could barely even understand what those 6 letters meant, and why they were somehow the name of a band. It was all very odd to me.

I did end up finding the tape for her in HMV in London (where I also found the Cocteau Twins albums Victorialand, Head Over Heels and Treasure), and never thought of it again.

Today - seventy five years later - I noticed on WFMU's site a lovely musical bio of Boney M, which is a fascinating read - especially if you know my Aunt.
It all started in 1975 when German producer Frank Farian scored a hit under the pseudonym Boney M. with 'Baby Do You Wanna Bump?'. He decided that he needed some good-looking dancers and singers to present to the public, and so the band Boney M. came into being.
Read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment